We're finally approaching the end of our block of the month series, and the penultimate design is Geese in a Row. This block is unique in that the geese are pieced in rows the width of the block, with no half-square triangles.
***When sewing this block, it's important to take care with your seam allowances. They should be a scant 1/4" -- and if you're really worried, I'd shave another scant off of that! There is no excess built into the vertical measurement of this block, although you will have a little extra width to trim it to 12.5" unfinished at the end. You may want to sew two practice strips and piece them together, making half a block, to check your seam allowance and sizing.
Cutting Instructions for ONE BLOCK:
Color A: Four pieces 3.5" x 6.5" -- these are the center geese
Color B: Eight pieces 3.5" x 7" -- these go on either side of the geese
1. Lay out the 4 color A rectangles and position 1 color B rectangle perpendicular on the right-hand corner, and extending up as pictured. Draw a line from upper right to lower left where the two pieces intersect, as pictured.
2. Sew on the line and then trim the corner off with a 1/4" seam allowance.
3. Open and press toward the color B strip.
4. Flip the pieces around so that the color B strip you've just sewn is on the left. Position the other color B strip on the opposite corner of the color A strip, perpendicular but extending down this time. *** It's important to get the positioning correct or else you won't achieve the flying goose shape. Draw a line from upper left to lower right where the two pieces intersect, as pictured. You can start to see the goose shape at this point.
5. Sew on the line and then trim the corner off with a 1/4" seam allowance.
6. Open and press toward the color B strip to reveal your 4 flying goose strips.
7. Fold each strip in half to find the center and finger press. Then align the centers and sew the strips together. Press seams toward the top of the block, as pictured.
8. Your block should be 12.5" x 13-ish". Trim the width for a 12.5" square unfinished block.